Friday 10 June 2011

Discovery from recovery


     “It’s all in the mind”... How many times does life try to say to us, “it’s all in the mind”? Whether it refers to an illusion that had us caught off guard, a sense of paranoia that may seem irrational to others, or simply from physical pain, we are advised to consider the possibility that our mind may be just playing tricks due to the lack of strength in our psyche.
            I never completely understood how our brain functions, nor do I know how to use to use it at full capacity, what I know is the importance of keeping it strong.
            As a person who experiences countless numbers of injuries, sometimes I can’t help but wonder if it’s all in my mind. Why am I injured so much? Why am I in pain all the time? Did I really push myself physically to a point where my body couldn’t handle it. As an overweight person, I understand that my weight as a great impact on my body’s ability to handle physical activity, but part of me suspected that there must be something else beyond my physique that has been contributing to my downfall. My mental approach to living.
            For the past couple of weeks I had been challenging myself to alter my lifestyle in terms of strengthening my mentality. Thanks to a meaningful conversation with a long time friend, I had finally triggered a part of my brain that was determined to find the inspiration and motivation I needed to travel down the correct path. Although the process is far from instant, there is significant progress.
            Not too long ago, I was finding myself bedridden, or on crutches every other day as my life became what I could only describe as a ‘downward spiral’. My depression had returned and the strength of my mentality was at minimum. I couldn’t be bothered asking for help, and all I did was watch tv. I couldn’t understand why I was waking up with injuries despite doing nothing the day before. Luckily, I came across this book written by a neuropsychologist. From this point on, things began to change.
            Unfortunately I wasn’t able to finish the book because my dad had to return it, but I read enough to receive the message about the importance of using positivity as a way of recovery. I wish I could elaborate on this notion in a more technical way, but basically happy thoughts can heal you both mentally AND physically. It’s simple, yet I must admit I was a bit skeptical... until now.
            I find myself looking forward to getting out of bed in the mornings. I enjoy sitting outside in the sun just enjoying fresh air, I can tolerate all the stories my parents have to share, I spend more time with family and friends, I’m not afraid to ask others for help as opposed to feelings reluctant and thinking I’ll be a burden and most importantly I can walk without crutches or pain killers. This was my discovery from my recovery, as the saying goes “laughter is the best medicine”. A happy heart leads to a nourished soul.

No comments:

Post a Comment