Monday 13 June 2011

Cultural match made in "Hebben"

     As a filipino raised in Sydney, I'm constantly trying to expand my knowledge on the filipino culture. From the religious aspects, to the love of family and food, the filipino approach to life is something I respect to a great deal and I would love to apply it a lot more. One aspect of filipino culture I'm familiar with is basketball.
     You could say it's a culture within a culture because the love of basketball is a great part of the filipino culture that was taught to me. There's a sense of humorous irony considering the filipino people are generally short in stature, yet we have a love to play a game suited for the taller person. At the same time, this very irony is able to highlight another aspect of the filipino culture, the ability to overcome obstacles with limited resources and doing it with a smile. That's just the filipino way. People who aren't aware, the Philippines isn't a country full of prosperity, but moreso a place with a great deal of poverty and a harsh lifestyle (in most cases). Being a filipino raised in a westernised civilisation, I can never truly understand the hardships that the country goes through, but I will always respect the way filipinos are able to fight adversity, and show passion when needed most.
     So why do I refer to basketball as a culture as opposed to just a sport? I guess because to some it's about having the opportunity to express their thoughts and beliefs,strengths and abilities concerning their approach to the game. It leads to social gatherings that enable people of the same values, same attitudes and same goals to share a special bond. In the end, it's a lifestyle that embraces respect and the spirit of comradery and competitiveness. The basketball culture is synonomous with the filipino culture. Together, they are a Cultural match made in "Hebben".
     As a kid, I was first introduced the game AND culture of basketball when I went to watch my dad play in a local competition with my uncles and their friends. Growing up, I wasn't exposed to much filipino activities outside of family gatherings, so this was a fairly new experience. Being a filipino competition the surroundings added a sense of familiarity. The opening ceremony was more of a celebration as the teams gathered to the cheers of support from family and friends. The kids even got involved just by wearing team colours or walking along side their respective fathers. Maybe all basketball tournaments were like this, I wouldn't know, I was just a kid enjoyng the moment.  What I do know is that this tournament differentiated from others simply by the inclusion of food.
     Filipinos love their food as well as their basketball. The atmosphere and aroma from the food cooking outside allowed for a more enjoyable experience for people who weren't playing or interested in basketball. Whether it were the big fishballs covered in that sweet sauce, the bbq you would salivate over, or the refreshing gulaman, you would come back every week just to get more. It added to the cultural experience, and implanted a joyous memory in all involved.    

                   My boys coming together to make an impressive team.

     On the past weekend, I was able to re-live that childhood experience, this time as a person in my mid-20s. The players are now my younger relatives and friends, a different generation with a different perspective. This time, the ceremony was perceived as "lame and stupid". Though there were still smiles and laughter on the players behalf, they were moreso sarcastic than genuine. The genuine laughter came from the crowd, including myself and friends and it was aimed toward the players involved in the ceremony. Hehehe. Times had changed.
     Humour aside, the environment created a great sense of sentimental nostalgia. The support was still close by, the sounds and atmosphere were still lively, and the food (although different) was still available. It's a simple combination that brings great joy to many. For me, I didn't have to be involved, I was just happy to be around and sometimes that's all you need to enjoy the experience. Competitiveness aside, you can't deny the experience and the friendships made on and off the court. To this day, the majority of my close friendships originated from our love of basketball and I will be forever grateful for that.

      Filipino basketball has taught me a great deal on how to approach life and how to enjoy it at the same time. The team aspect also applies to life in the sense that you don't have to overcome obstacles alone, everyone has their strengths and weaknesses and you need to learn to trust in yourself as well as trust others before time runs out and you're left dissatisfied. At the end of the day, you obtain strength and knowledge through working with others. Togetherness is key to victories on and off the court.

No comments:

Post a Comment